I changed the floorplan of the house I built. I left out the stairs, making one room bigger on the first floor, and I moved walls around upstairs so that there are two bedrooms and a bathroom. The new floorplan is shown at the left.
I did not add any interior doorways to the upstairs rooms. I envision that at the back of the house is a stairwell and a hallway to connect the rooms. Leaving out doorways allows more flexibility in furniture arrangement in this small house.
I put hardwood floors in all the rooms of the house, except for the bathroom. I made the floors by cutting maple veneer into 3/8"-wide strips, cut into various lengths, which I glued to the floors. After sanding the floors, I stained them with a maple stain and applied some varnish.
I cut new interior window trims from basswood, using mitered corners. I stained the window frames and baseboards to match the maple floors.
Downstairs, in the living room, I made some changes to the fireplace. Before assembling the house, I had cut a hole in the wall for the firebox. I glued plastic brick sheets (leftover from another project) inside the bottom part of the chimney. I painted the bricks in different shades of red and used stucco for mortar. I painted the rest of the interior of the chimney black. One neat thing about the chimney, is that items dropped in from the top will land in the fireplace.
I made a new hearth for the fireplace out of blue Granitex, which matches the wallpaper. I cut and stained a new mantle piece.
I am really happy with the way the front doors turned out.
I decided to let Elizabeth decide how she wanted to furnish and decorate her house. I chose wallpapers in patterns and colors which would coordinate easily with various colors of fabrics. I didn't put curtains or drapes on any of the windows, because I didn't know which colors would match future furnishings.
I also didn't know if Elizabeth would want the small bedroom to be a nursery or to be a girl's room, so I picked pink wallpaper and a feminine border. Elizabeth has decided that the room will be for a girl, not for a baby.
Wallpapering the rooms upstairs was rather challenging. The ceilings are vaulted, and the highest wall is 12.5 inches tall. Most dollhouse wallpapers measure 11 inches high, so some horizontal seams had to be used in the paper. In the girl's bedroom, I put a pony wallpaper border around the room, covering a seam in the wallpaper. In the master bedroom, I put seams in the paper at the tops of the walls where it was less likely to show. In the bathroom, the tile wainscot was tall enough that I did not have to put seams in the wallpaper.
The bathroom is the only room for which I provided furniture. I purchased the fixtures and built the wicker shelf, using some instructions in Dollhouse Miniatures magazine.
Go to Page 3 to read more.